November 10, 2009
The Honorable Judge George N. Leighton Initiated into Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity International Chicago Alumni Chapter
The Honorable Judge George N. Leighton was initiated into the Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity International Chicago Alumni Chapter on October 21st at Petterino’s Banquet in Chicago, IL. Upon Judge Leighton’s initiation by the Honorable James F. Holerman, Judge Leighton shared valuable insights and reflections with the members of the bench and bar. Neal & Leroy, LLC co-sponsored the event with firm members in attendance.
Judge Leighton (seated) with other distinguished
of Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity International Chicago Alumni Chapter
The purpose of Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity is to form a strong bond uniting students and teachers of the law with members of the Bench and Bar in a fraternal fellowship designed to advance the ideals of liberty and equal justice under law; to stimulate excellence in scholarship; to inspire the virtues of compassion and courage; to foster integrity and professional competence; to promote the welfare of its members; and to encourage their moral, intellectual, and cultural advancement; so that each member may enjoy a lifetime of honorable professional and public service.
Visit the Phi Alpha Delta Chicago Alumni Chapter for details.
Judge George N. Leighton concentrates in the areas of federal litigation and appellate cases. He became counsel to Neal & Leroy, LLC in 1987 after retiring from 23 combined years of service as judge on the state and federal bench. Judge Leighton is a 1946 graduate of Harvard Law School and a 1940 magna cum laude graduate of Howard University. Judge Leighton's early career included serving as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Illinois and as Master in Chancery of the Circuit Court of Cook County. In 1964, he was elected to a six-year term as Judge of the Circuit Court of Cook County and five years later he was assigned by the Illinois Supreme Court to sit as Judge of the Appellate Court, First District.
In 1970, Judge Leighton was elected to a ten-year term as a Justice of the Illinois Appellate Court, First District. President Gerald Ford nominated Judge Leighton to serve as a Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois in 1975, upon confirmation Judge Leighton began serving in 1976. Judge Leighton retired from the bench in 1987.