Scott R. Borstein
Mr. Borstein concentrates his practice in zoning, land use and real estate transactions. His land use experience is wide ranging, including appearances before municipal and county boards, commissions and committees on matters such as zoning, landmarks, vacations and subdivisions.
In addition, Mr. Borstein possesses significant experience in a broad range of real estate matters, including the acquisition and disposition of commercial properties and the negotiation of construction and financing documentations and lease agreements.
- Counsel for an outdoor advertising joint venture which has been selected
by the City of Chicago (“City”) to install digital billboards adjacent to
the expressway on certain City owned property throughout the City limits.
Specific legal work included advising the client (and the City) on the constitutionality of the program, the legal and political issues involved in site/sign locations, drafting the sign ordinance including amendments to the City’s zoning ordinance and municipal code necessary to authorize the project and drafting the program agreement with the City.
- Land use and zoning counsel for a large affordable housing developer on Chicago’s southside and counsel for financial institutions in connection with new bank branch acquisition and development.
- Counsel for the developers of over 15 million square feet of property throughout the City of Chicago, including currently serving as lead zoning counsel on one of the largest planned developments in the City’s history.
- Counsel for City of Chicago and the Chicago Music and Dance Theater in Planned Development and Lakefront Protection Ordinance Process for Chicago's Millennium Park.
- Counsel for North Park University in all phases of the development of its Master Plan for its 18-acre campus on the City's northwest side.
- Counsel for Comcast in connection with the development of its Regional Technical Facility, in Homewood, Illinois.
- American Institute of Architects
- Chicago Bar Association
- Georgetown University, J.D., 1988
- Miami University, B.A., 1985, cum laude
- Zoning Issues: A Developer's Perspective-2011 Edition
Published by Illinois Insitute of Continuing Education
Co-Author Scott Borstein
- Processing a Land Use Application in the City of Chicago, 2013 Supplement
Published by Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2013
Co-Author: Scott R. Borstein