George N. Leighton (Retired)
George N. Leighton concentrates his practice in the areas of federal litigation and appellate cases. Mr. Leighton became of counsel to Neal & Leroy in 1987, after retiring from 23 combined years of service as judge on the state and federal benches.
- Represented parents in a proceeding which desegregated the public schools of Harrisburg, Illinois, 1950.
- Overturned the convictions of men whose constitutional rights were infringed.
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in civil cases of every kind.
- Defended more than 200 charges in bench and jury trials.
- Handled more than 175 appeals, reviews, civil and criminal charges in state and federal courts.
- Judge, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1976 - 1987
- Justice, Illinois Appellate Court, 1969-1976
- Judge, Circuit Court of Cook County, 1964-1969
- National Association of Defense Lawyers in Criminal Cases
- Council of the National Harvard Law School Associations
- Howard University Alumni Association
- Legal Redress Committee
- Legal Education Committee of the Chicago Bar
- Chicago Bar Association
- Cook County Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Associations
- National Bar Association
- Inter-American Bar Association
- Harvard Law School, L.L.B., 1946
- Howard University, B.A., 1940
April 22, 2013
George N. Leighton Highlighted in Phi Beta Kappa’s The Key Reporter, Spring 2013
George N. Leighton, retired Judge and of counsel at Neal & Leroy, LLC, was highlighted in Phi Beta Kappa’s The Key Reporter, Member Spotlight, Spring 2013. In 1940, Leighton became a member of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation's oldest and most widely known academic honor society, while attending Howard University, Washington D.C. Click here to view the Member Spotlight.
June 26, 2012
“Judge” George N. Leighton Honored on Friday, June 29th for the Renaming of the Cook County Criminal Court Building at 26th Street and California Avenue to the Honorable George N. Leighton Criminal Court Building.
Apriil 28, 2011
George Leighton to Receive Cardinal Bernardin Award
October 8, 2010
George Leighton Cited in an Chicago Daily Law Bulletin Article
July 6, 2010
Chicago Lawyer Profiles George N. Leighton
August 10, 2005
2005 American Bar Association Medal