For more than 20 years, Neal & Leroy, LLC has had extensive experience in providing high quality representation for management in all aspects of labor and employment disputes as well as providing advisory services to its clients.
The firm also has comprehensive experience in assisting municipal and private clients as well as federal and state agencies with labor and employment legal issues. Our attorneys offer substantive knowledge of labor and employment law supported by proven experience as trial attorneys.
We have represented our clients in hundreds of litigation and administrative matters, from the initial stages of an internal employee complaint through trial and appellate proceedings. We represent employers before the EEOC, the Illinois Department of Human Rights, the Illinois Human Rights Commission, the Chicago Commission of Human Relations, the United States Department of Labor, the Illinois Department of Labor, and the National Labor Relations Board.
Our attorneys argue cases in the appellate court, represent government employers in court and in front of administrative boards and commissions, defend governmental employers in §1983 litigation, and defend employers in federal court litigation involving Title VII, ADEA, ADA §1981, and related anti-discrimination laws.
We have extensive legal, business, and governmental experience. The firm has a long and distinguished history of representing municipalities, municipal authorities, educational institutions, and other public trusts. Additionally, we serve as outside counsel to Fortune 500 corporations including Exelon, Sears Holding Company, and AT&T/SBC, and other public and private sector entities in the areas of discrimination, employment contract, and tort claims such as intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligent hiring, and retaliatory discharge.
Areas of Concentration
- Anti-Discrimination Laws
- Title VII
- Equal Pay Act
- Illinois Human Rights Act
- Chicago Human Rights Ordinance
- Common Law Torts
- Retaliatory Discharge
- Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress
- Employment Related Defamation
- Contract Issues
- Employment Contracts
- Non-compete Clauses
- Unfair Business Practices
- Severance Plans and Agreements
- Regulatory Issues
- U.S. Department of Labor
- Illinois Department of Labor
- Illinois Personnel Record Review Act
- Illinois Wage Payment and Collection Act
- OFCCP - EEO issues
- Fair Credit Reporting Act Issues
- Advisory Services
- Workplace Misconduct Investigations
- Public Sector Employment Issues
- First Amendment
- Due Process
- Equal Protection
- Civil Service & Merit Board Hearings
- State & Federal Court Litigation
- Traditional Labor Law
Key Representative Matters
Public Building Commission of Chicago
- Neal & Leroy provides counsel to the Public Building Commission of Chicago (“PBC”) in all aspects of employment-related litigation, including representing the PBC in court and responding to charges of discrimination at the EEOC and the Illinois Department of Human Rights. In addition, the firm provides advice to the PBC with respect to employment-related policies and employee handbook issues; payroll, tax and benefits questions (including public pension issues); hiring of individuals subject to restrictive covenants; Illinois Personnel Record Review Act requests; third-party subpoenas and FOIA requests, as they relate to employee privacy issues; promotions; discharges; and the litigation risks associated with other employment transactions.
- Neal & Leroy has successfully represented Exelon in litigating more than 50 charges of employment discrimination at IDHR, EEOC, City of Chicago, and County of Cook. Also, the firm represented Exelon in litigation in connection with a claim of termination based on race, combined breach of contract/unfair labor practice, failure to provide extended pension benefits, and a state tort allegation of wrongful discharge.
City Colleges of Chicago
- Neal & Leroy has represented the City Colleges of Chicago in a breach of contract case and in an Americans with Disabilities Act case. In connection with the American Disabilities Act case, the firm received a favorable ruling from the district court and the Seventh Circuit.
The Apartment People
- Neal & Leroy has provided legal counsel on behalf of The Apartment People with respect to their appeal of an audit finding that their leasing agents were not independent contractors under the Illinois Unemployment Insurance Act. The Director of the Department reversed the auditors, ordering a refund for the client.
Village of Maywood
- Neal & Leroy successfully represented the Village of Maywood in a hearing on a suspension of a police sergeant in front of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners.
City of Chicago
- Neal & Leroy defended the City for over 10 years in litigation with the United States Justice Department concerning hiring and promotional practices of the Police and Fire Departments.
Chicago Title Company
- Neal & Leroy defended the Chicago Title Insurance Company in a federal civil rights action alleging racial discrimination in its trust department.
R.R. Donnelley & Sons Co.
- Neal & Leroy served as co-counsel in defense of two nationwide class actions alleging race discrimination in employment, including defense of an attempted interlocutory appeal and a novel statute of limitations issue.
Central Transport International
- Neal & Leroy successfully defended a nationwide action brought by Central States Funds against a trucking industry client alleging massive withdrawal liability against the client under the Multi-Pension Plan Amendments to ERISA. The trial resulted in judgment for the client.
We welcome you to contact Neal & Leroy at (312) 641-7144 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how we may be of service in a Labor/Employment Law matter.