Neal & Leroy, LLC has one of the leading zoning and land use practices in the Chicago metropolitan area. Our attorneys have comprehensive experience and knowledge in representing real estate owners, corporations, institutional investors, lenders, homebuilders, and developers in land use, zoning, public sector financing, and related real estate matters. Our experience also includes representing and advising municipalities in these matters.
Our attorneys appear on a regular basis before local governments and their staffs, state and federal agencies, as well as administrative and judicial tribunals. We work extensively with elected officials, community and public interest groups, and the media in furtherance of our clients' interests in zoning, land use, and development matters.
We provide a range of services, including advising clients through the complexities of an entitlement process, analysis of existing land use rights and obligations, and zoning and land use litigation.
Our zoning and land use attorneys focus on the business and legal issues that arise from the entitlement process such as design and marketability, financing limitations, and environmental remediation issues.
We employ creative and flexible techniques to assist our clients in realizing the goals of their various real estate transactions. Because of our experience, Neal & Leroy is particularly well suited to negotiate the unique situations that often arise in zoning and land use representation. This expertise allows us to bring even the most difficult land use entitlements to fruition in a timely manner.
Key Representative Matters
- Neal & Leroy represented the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority in obtaining the necessary zoning approvals to include a new sub area for the proposed hotel and event center at McCormick Place, as well as obtaining Landmark Commission approval for the proposed renovation of the historic ABC building and the linking of this building to the hotel. Firm attorneys attended several community and aldermanic meetings for the proposals, obtaining approval from the Chicago Plan Commission on the Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Protection Ordinance and assisted in drafting the traffic management plan for the McCormick Place campus.
- Neal & Leroy represented Roosevelt University in obtaining the necessary zoning approvals to build their new vertical campus. Firm attorneys appeared before the Board of Trustees of the University and presented the proposed zoning amendment to obtain necessary approvals for the construction of the new campus.
The Women’s Treatment Center
- Neal & Leroy served as legal counsel to The Women’s Treatment Center concerning the renovation and expansion of the center’s existing 160-bed transitional shelter facility. The project required obtaining special use approvals for the facility and several off-site parking lots as well as a variance from the Zoning Board of Appeals for a shared parking arrangement with a neighboring use.
- Neal & Leroy served as legal counsel to Northwestern Hospital in obtaining the necessary zoning approvals to build a new parking garage and day care center. The proposed project required rezoning property to a planned development and approval under the Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Protection Ordinance.
Public Building Commission of Chicago
- Neal & Leroy provides legal counsel to the Public Building Commission of Chicago in obtaining all necessary zoning approvals to build schools (including expansion, renovation and new construction), fire stations, additions, police stations, parks, and libraries.
Chicago Board of Education
- Neal & Leroy has been the Chicago Board of Education’s primary zoning counsel for many years on projects requiring approval by the Chicago Plan Commission, City Council, Zoning Committee, Department of Zoning, and Chicago Zoning Board of Appeals. We have also assisted the Board in obtaining street and alley vacations, closures, dedications, and privileges in the public rights of way for existing and new school projects and facilities.
John Hancock Center
- Neal & Leroy served as legal counsel in obtaining zoning and public right-of-way approvals for the modernization of the plaza and public entries to this famous modern landmark.
University of Illinois-Ambulatory Care Center
- Neal & Leroy was retained as legal counsel for the University of Illinois in seeking approvals and rights to occupy the public way for the sky bridge connecting various University of Illinois hospital buildings.
- Neal & Leroy served as special assistant state attorney to Putnam County for consulting on the redevelopment, revitalization, and rehabilitation of the County’s steel mill.
Village of Bellwood
- Neal & Leroy served as counsel to the Village of Bellwood in its development for a 42-acre regional shopping center.
North Park University
- Neal & Leroy served as counsel for North Park University in all phases of the development of its Master Plan for its 18-acre campus on Chicago’s northwest side.
We welcome you to contact Neal & Leroy at (312) 641-7144 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how we may be of service in a matter involving Zoning, Development or Land Use.